[ILUG-BOM] Proxy restrictions

noel seq noelseq@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 6 14:20:06 IST 2001

>From: shahazad at linuxplanet.nu

>recently in my company the sys admin has setup a squid proxy which is now
>restricting me to access yahoo messnger & other services like ftp, telnet
>etc.
>it is only allowing http on 8080.
>i could directly ping or telnet any server as if i was directly connected
>the net.
you cannot ping to any outside address ? connect to any website?
can you ping other machines in your network.
You should set up your client to point to port 8080 of your gateway.
>now what i want to do is i want to run yahoo messenger/icq, telnet, ftp ..
use the same port for your messenger.
>I am also unable to check my other POP3's except my official one ..

uh huh. From what you say, i think the server has disabled you from getting
any outside access. check your gateway settings if they are proper.

Regards,

Noel.

Gnu/Linux registered user #226476