[ILUG-BOM] locale settings

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sam_buddhe@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 6 15:26:02 IST 2001

I seem to have messed up the locale settings on my machine ... here's
what perl says when I try to run a script.

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
	LANGUAGE = (unset),
	LC_ALL = (unset),
	LANG = "en_US.ISO-8859-9"
Similarly any GNOME application gives the following error

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

The original error messages had reported "english" as the locale
setting. While experimenting I ended up with the above strings when I
stuck an alias for "english" in /etc/locale.aliases. Where do I set up
my language environemt? Do I need to restart bash and all? I am using
Debian unstable ... the whole thing probably started when I upgraded my
glibc and other packages ..

SameerDS.