[ILUG-BOM] Help! Fire! SOS!

Q u a s i quasiabhi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Sep 8 00:21:03 IST 2001

Folks,
	(Yeah, I know I should have used a more "meaningful subject" '-)

	My 2 HDD's have got some strange ailment (power surge?) and are in their
death throes.  Soon I may be left up the room without the paddle... err the
PC.  What I want to know is, is it possible to have a bootable CD with
linux which I can use when them spinners die on me.  I have already begged
and borrowed these two from my friends, I have no hope for other.
	All I need is a minimal system which runs CMUCL + Emacs (+ ilisp).  If I
can have X running with a browser it will be truly wonderful.  But how does
one deal with all the files which get written automatically?  the error
records, the /var files, etc?  RAMDisk?
	Can any (good Samaritan) with a CD-Writer, do me a huge favour and create
this CD for me?  And if the good Samaritan with the CD-Writer does not know
how to do it, can other good Samaritans without CD-Writers help him (and
me) out?

	The other option would be a bootable floppy.  What OS would it be?  and
how much stuff of the above be accommodated on it?

quasi

-- postscript --

Math is like love -- a simple idea but it can get complicated.
-- R. Drabek

        \?/       .Quasi.
       (0-0)
       ( | )      <quasiabhi at yahoo.com>