[ILUG-BOM] Please Help me out

Goldwyn Rodrigues goldwyn_r@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Sep 8 10:18:03 IST 2001

To start with edit your smb.conf
change or uncomment
encrypt passwords = yes

Then if you want to make it a NT domain ( which is preferable)
domain master = yes
preferred master = yes

restart Samba by issuing the command as root -
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

issue the command -
smbadduser user_on_unix:user_on_windows
where user_on_windows is any arbit name ... i prefer to keep both the same.
give the password ... nothing ( ie blank) is a good choice to start with

In your network config in windoze98 check (th \e checkbox) logon to NT Domain
(use the domain as MYGROUP)
Reboot and in login the login  window give domain name as MYGROUP and
user_in_win with the appropriate password.

now u shud be able to browse your home directories in Linux. If the box asks
for a password give the password provided in smbadduser.

This shud do the work. Howeevr first try to check with the connectivity and
then buil dup security.

Hope this helps.
Goldwyn :o)