[ILUG-BOM] Wireless network

Devdas Bhagat dodobh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Sep 9 15:02:02 IST 2001

How about a wireless network for our LUG?
I would say we use ipv6 addresses. From preliminary enquiries I have
made, we should be able to setup a 802.11b MAN without much
interference, with pretty nominal license fees of Rs 3000/yr/machine.
There will be a slightly higher initial cost of 802.11b wireless
modems, but I think that we can build our own for a much lower cost
(Someone please check this by actually going to Lamington Road, my
estimate is around 5K Rs).

If Dr. Nagurjana will permit us, we can hook this network to the
internet through the TIFR leased line. The VSNL 2M port costs ~ Rs.6
lakh/yr.  And maybe we can get in a couple of other companies to allow
us to share their leased lines so the LUG is multihomed.
If there are a hundred interested people, then the running cost is very
low (~ Rs. 1000/mth for a wireless network hooked up at 11mbps).

Anyone interested? Also, could someone contact the local dept to
Telecom and ask them for the exact rules.

This should be a fun project.

Devdas Bhagat
--
"Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained."