[ILUG-BOM] Re: Re: X bit depth adjustment

S. Krishnan sri_krishnan@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 3 14:04:02 IST 2001

--- Parul  Mathur <parulmat at rediffmail.com> wrote:

> On  Mon, 1 Oct 2001 S. Krishnan wrote:
>
> > Which video display adapter are you using, and
> with
>
> I'm afraid I don't know. How can I find out?
>
> > how much RAM?
>
> 256 kB RAM.

Good chances thhat this is either (most probably) an
ISA card or a very old PCI card.  As Philip says, the
only way you can really get it to work is by running
the 16 colour VGA server.  Any other mode will need
more video RAM than you have available.  Why don't you
open up the box and take a look at the VGA card
(assuming it is not an onboard assembly on the
motherboard) to see if you can figure out the
manufacturer and part number?

If you have a system with available PCI slots
(generally available only on Pentium+ systems, but
I've seen a (very) few 486's with PCI), I suggest that
you upgrade your video to a rather more recent card.
A PCI (non-AGP) card with 1 MB ought to (if available)
cost around Rs. 400 to 500, while more modern PCI
cards would cost a couple of hundreds more.  Your
advantage here is that you would be able to run with
better colour depth and resolution, not to mention
speed.

Best regards,

Krishnan