[ILUG-BOM] Two rc.local ?

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Oct 6 13:24:03 IST 2001

Sometime Today, Bhushan Tiwari assembled some asciibets to say:

> I have installed Redhat 7.1, I found that there are two "rc.local"
> file, one is in the "/etc/" directory and the other is in the
> "/etc/rc.d/" directory and both are exactly the same.

If you look really close, you'll find that they are both the same file.
If you edit one, the other changes too.  It's probably a little troll,
sitting on your disk, mirroring all your changes... then again, it could
just be a symlink.

> On SuSE Linux I found that rc.local resides in /etc/rc.d/, what is the
> significance of the other rc.local file ?

/etc is the FHS (File Heirarchy Standard) place for the rc.* and init.d
files/directories.  Earlier versions of distros used to put everything
in /etc/rc.d.  RedHat now follows the FHS (Debian always followed it),
hence the change.

> I dunno whether I should mention it here, I have crack for XWinPro,

No, you shouldn't.  This group is about freedom.  Any violation of such
freedom cannot be allowed.  Piracy violates the rights of the developer,
and cannot be condoned.  If you don't like the licence, don't use the
software.

Philip

--
It is much easier to suggest solutions when you know nothing about the problem.

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis
  AIM  philiptellis                         ICQ     129711328