[ILUG-BOM] grep

Pablo Ares Gastesi pablo@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Oct 9 07:53:02 IST 2001

Hello,

   I have a strange problem with grep. When I try to search for a string
in the files of a directory (~/programming/tmp) with the command

    grep a *

it gives me the error:

    grep: conflicting matchers specified

If I do (from my home directory or even from the directory itself!)

    grep a ~/programming/tmp/*

then I have no problem. What is the meaning of the above error
message? It does not matter what string I give, anything will produce
the error.

Pablo.
Pablo Ares Gastesi. School of Mathematics, TIFR,
Mumbai 400 005, INDIA i                    Phone: 2152971, ext 2666
pablo at math.tifr.res.in 	http://www.math.tifr.res.in/~pablo/
Key fingerprint =  1A 7C 0A 22 5A 75 A4 78  62 6F 64 09 C1 A0 F7 E6