[ILUG-BOM] grep

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Oct 9 12:34:02 IST 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Pablo Ares Gastesi wrote:

>    I have a strange problem with grep. When I try to search for a string
> in the files of a directory (~/programming/tmp) with the command

Does it happen only for this directory?

>     grep: conflicting matchers specified

Do you have any of GREP_OPTIONS or POSIXLY_CORRECT set?

That error generally means that egrep was called with the -F or -G flag
or fgrep was called with the -E or -G flag.  Basically, the matchers
(grep/fgrep/egrep) conflict with each other.

I think you can't use egrep with POSIXLY_CORRECT or something like that.

Philip

--
I thrive on change... I thrive on making other people change.
		-- Calvin

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis
  AIM  philiptellis                         ICQ     129711328