[ILUG-BOM] grep

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Oct 9 15:21:03 IST 2001

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Pablo Ares Gastesi wrote:

> > That error generally means that egrep was called with the -F or -G flag
> > or fgrep was called with the -E or -G flag.  Basically, the matchers
>
>   I solved the problem. There was a file called -FILE in that directory.

Ok.  grep took that to mean flags -F -I -L and -E.  Basically, -F and -E
together not allowed.  You can solve the problem by putting -- before
the pattern to tell grep that options are over, or alternately, put the
pattern in quotes, and set POSIXLY_CORRECT, which will assume that
everything after the pattern is a filename.

Philip

--
Scully: What was that??
Mulder: I don't know - but it ain't no duck.

	"The X-Files: Quagmire"

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis
  AIM  philiptellis                         ICQ     129711328