[ILUG-BOM] Wat abt our Linux in Schools/Colleges initiative

Nagarjuna G. nagarjun@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Nov 7 11:54:02 IST 2001

On Tue, 6 Nov 2001, Trevor Warren wrote:

->     Creatin a distro specific for these educational
->institutions is a gr8 thingy to do.....but to get them
->to understand he inherrent value propositon our 1st
->objective to chalk out the agenda to take GPL to these
->students.......

   Well the situation is not that bad.  You may be aware that
   Bombay University has already introduced Linux in the
   curriculum.  Which means, slowly, Linux will be taught not
   only in Mumbai but in other places as well because other
   Universities may follow.  Presently in Mumbai there is a great
   demand for Linux resources, particularly in technical
   institutions.  My impression is that if we could meet the
   demand we have met our objective.  We should not in the
   pathetic position of not being able to meet the existing
   demand.

   Let us all make a list of colleges in Mumbai.  This can be
   done by listing first the college each of us are from. And
   then get a report on what is happening in each place.  I know
   that every college needs a GNU/Linux Lab.  Get the addresses, and
   contact persons's name.  Then we will write a letter to them,
   including the Principal, and then tell them we can offer
   training/ (limited) support etc. If necessary we can make a
   separate list for colleges where colleges in Mumbai can
   discuss the problems of implementing GNU/Linux.

   Making a distro keeping in mind the syllabus and general
   interests will add to the initiative.  When we have a distro,
   our support and documentation becomes easy.  We dont have to
   talk generally but specifically, and say `do this exactly'.
   This distro will be useful in other parts of the country as
   well.

   Should we meet this sunday (11th) on this issue?

   Nagarjuna