[ILUG-BOM] Blocking Porno / Downloads

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Nov 7 13:38:03 IST 2001

On Wed, 7 Nov 2001, YAHOO wrote:

> Is ther any way I can block prono using Linux Firewall or some kown
> application.

Very easy.  Make a list of all porn sites on the net, and reject
connections to them in your outgoing rules.

> I also need to block downloads like MP3 etc. I have a cable
> connection it is being misused greatly.

Blocking specific file types is better done through a proxy.  Actually,
even blocking sites should be done through the proxy.  Just use your
firewall to redirect all outgoing connections on port 80 to your proxy.

> Also can Viruses be blocked using a Firewall ??? If "YES", what is
> the concept behind it....

What do you mean by blocking viruses using a firewall?  If you want to
scan all files that are downloaded, then you've first got to figure out
where the viruses come through.  scanning will have to be done at an
application layer, so again, a proxy will have to do this.  You'll also
need to put something into your mail gateway.  something like amavis.

Read the relevant HOWTOs for more info.

Philip

--
	"... freedom ... is a worship word..."
	"It is our worship word too."

Visit my webpage at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/
Read my writings at http://www.ncst.ernet.in/~philip/writings/

  MSN  philiptellis                         Yahoo!  philiptellis
  AIM  philiptellis                         ICQ     129711328