[ILUG-BOM] mozilla problem

Vinay Pai vinaypai.geo@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Dec 13 17:32:15 IST 2001

Hi Amarendra,

>> /usr/X11R6/bin/mozilla: error while loading shared libraries:
>> > libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: Input/output error
>>
>> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>>
>> What could the error message mean?

> A `shared object' file, as the name itself implies is the object file
> that is shareb by many programs. You have a bunch of them put up in
> /usr/lib. It is a DLL (dynamic linked library), which is linked at
> runtime. Your error suggests that GTK is not installed properly, try
> reinstalling it. Uninstall can be done with rpm -e <pkg name>. Then
> again install the GTK rpm, and yes, take care of the dependencies while
> install/uninstall process.
Properly uninstalling GTK will involve removing every Gnome package.
I think RPM has some option to reinstall a package and overwrite
existing files. Use it if possible.

If not, and you need to uninstall gtk, you whould use the --nodeps
option, and make sure you replace it with the same version as you
removed, or else other programs may fail.

You might also need to re-run ldconfig. (Or maybe RPM does it for
you... I don't know, I'm more a tarball fan.)

Regards,
Vinay Pai <vinay at vinaypai.com>

"When you ASSUME you make an ASS of U and ME"
- Thomas Harris in 'The Silence of the Lambs'