[ILUG-BOM] Really Strange...

Philip S Tellis philip.tellis@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jan 21 13:09:03 IST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Linux Lover wrote:

> due to my carelessness my system's /var showed 100% usage..
>
> I deleted some old log files and freed about 1 gb of disk space..

Simply deleting the logs won't help.  Log files are kept open by
programs that write to them, and these programs maintain a file pointer
to the current write position.  Even if you delete the file, or delete
its contents, the program still writes to the old position, which may be
many megabytes off the start.  All preceding bytes are filled with null.
This is mentioned in the apache manual.

If you do delete the logs, you need to restart whichever process is
writing to that log.  For apache, issue a SIGHUP, similarly for others,
but check.

--
Don't take life so serious, son, it ain't nohow permanent.
		-- Walt Kelly