[ILUG-BOM] Red Hat 7.2 Installation: Partitioning?????

Kunal Gangakhedkar kgangakhedkar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 23 16:19:14 IST 2002

Well, with the new versions of LILO which include 32-bit LBA
extensions, you don't need to be bothered about the Cylinder Limit
problem.
The new LILO should be included in RH 7.2.
If you're facing the problem, what you can do is create Linux
partitions using some other partitioning util like Partition Magic
or Ranish Partition Manager (BTW, Ranish is free).
Then, while installing linux just assign the proper mount points to
respective partitions.
Install lilo on First Boot Sector and not MBR.
CREATE A BOOT DISK, to be on the safer side.
And install linux as you would do otherwise.
If your bootdisk fails or gets corrupted, there are boot images
available on the RH cd under images folder.
Copy them on a windows partition and use loadlin to boot into linux by
giving proper root partition as a kernel parameter.
Use the loadlin documentation for further details.
Remember, you need to boot into linux at least once.

Once into linux, edit lilo.conf. You'd be having an entry called
"linear".
Just replace it with "lba32".
If you don't have such an entry, add it as a primary entry, i.e.
before the "image= ... " entries.
Make sure that you change the "boot = "
entry to point it to the MBR.
That is, make it
boot = /dev/hdx

where /dev/hdx is your active boot device like hda for primary master,
hdb for primary slave.
Mostly, it will be /dev/hda.

Then overwrite lilo using /sbin/lilo.
Now onwards you don't need any other bootloader.

I guess, this helps.

Kunal

Bus error -- driver executed.