[ILUG-BOM] HDD in LBA? CHS? Huh?

Satya satyap@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jul 15 02:05:07 IST 2002

On Jul 13, 2002 at 13:47, Q u a s i wrote:

>At 04:16 AM 7/12/02 -0700, you wrote:
>>So now I'm embarassed: Why did Linux fdisk not recognize it for what it
>>was, the first time?
>Did you have the latest version of fdisk?  There is a large difference
>between the current one and the one which came with the Debian Potato 2.2 -
>or so was my experience.

I couldn't find fdisk anywhere. cfdisk had the same problem, and I did
find cfdisk at ibiblio.

The odd thing is that fdisk was able to recognize the drive correctly
after DOS fdisk had created a partition table on it.

>There is something called LBA32 which is prevalent as of today I think.  If
>your bios does not support it then LBA is next best, maybe?

I had to tell LILO LBA32... and that has nothing to do with this. The
BIOS shouldn't be that old, I bought it in February.

--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML Usenet posts and e-mail