[ILUG-BOM] Limiting processor usage

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sameerds@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jul 17 11:04:04 IST 2002

Hi,

I need a way to set a hard limit on processor usage on the server. A
user had spawned three processes, one on each processor (the fourth one
got fried a long time ago), which kept them 90% busy. The result was
that the server became to slow to even reply to ping packets, not to
mention loss of DNS service.

The command "ulimit" has an option "-t" that can set a limit on
processor usage in seconds ... what does that mean?

I want to say something like "only x% on only y processors" if possible.
Is there a way to do that?

Will simply limiting processor usage help solve the problem we faced?

Sameer.
--
   MTech Student,
   Reconfigurable Computing Lab,

####[ Linux One Stanza Tip (LOST) ]###########################
Sub : Lesser known commands (toe)                    LOST #212

To know what all terms are supported by the kernel use:
$toe | less
This info may  be needed when telnetting to another host with
a different OS which does not recognise linux as TERM type.