[ILUG-BOM] Re: Limiting CPU Usage

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sameerds@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jul 18 22:43:03 IST 2002

On Thu, 2002-07-18 at 12:43, Vinay Pai wrote:

> I think 'nice' should be sufficient. IMHO Limiting processor usage (to
> %x on processor y) doesn't make sense because when there is heavy load
> on the server, any reasonable value of x will be larger than that the
> kernel will assign anyway, and during light load you'll be wasting CPU
> time.

You are right. Arbit limits on processor usage isn't the right way to do
it.

> If you "nice" the processes enough the scheduler will make sure that
> higher priority processes (like DNS etc.) will get all the time they
> need.

But nice works with only individual processes. I am trying to setup a
system-wide limit. I think giving a hefty priority boost to
server-related users in /etc/security/limits.conf should do the trick.

Sameer.
--
   MTech Student,
   Reconfigurable Computing Lab,

So so is good, very good, very excellent good:
and yet it is not; it is but so so.
		-- William Shakespeare, "As You Like It"