[ILUG-BOM] Does not allow login even with Su on Redhat 6.2 box

Philip S Tellis philip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jul 22 11:23:02 IST 2002

On 19 Jul 2002, Jaishankar Krishnan Iyer wrote:

> The box did NOT run any firewall etc. The next day what we found
> was, it would NOT allow us to login at all.
> At the login prompt , when one tried to login as any user or even
> "su" it would just jump back to login prompt.

did you try to login as su or as root?

> Could i get some hint as to which are the likely files which i could
> look into which could cause this problem. This would help us further
> in the penetration test which we are conducting.

have a look at your pam.d/* files.  also, by removing some groups, you
may have disabled logins.  You'll have to experiment to find out.

--
And anyone can be tooted?

		-- Homer Simpson, on tutoring
		   The Way We Was