[ILUG-BOM] view total phys. mem.

abhijeet abhijeetmore@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jul 26 00:47:04 IST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 01:25:17PM +0530, Manish Jethani wrote:
> How can I view the total amount of physical memory, say 256m,
> available to the system.  free(1) shows 250m on my system where
> I have 256m total.

AFAIK 'free' lists memory available to kernel.
It also lists buffer memory used by kernel...under buffers.
Add the two values.
try free -b as well, becoz free -m takes closest value for
conversion.
And yes please tell me if it works!( It does for me..64MB RAM)
Its only a hypothesis....I've been trying to interpret what
'buffers' means here for a long time now.
ciao
abhijeet