[ILUG-BOM] RH Linux not overwriting MBR.

Kunal Gangakhedkar kgangakhedkar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Aug 2 20:35:08 IST 2002

> > Well, it also depends on which version of Windows you're using.
> > If you're using something like ME or XP then, the Windows OS
protects the
> > MBR somehow. So, any other software which tries to access /
overwrite MBR
> > will fail.
>
> I have two machines running Win XP and Linux running, Win XP does not
> protect/overwrite the MBR. Neither does any other version of Windows.

It was my mistake & I apologize for it.....
I'm sorry.....

> > 2. If you have NT Boot Loader (if using XP), then create an image
file of the boot sector using dd. Copy this file to some windows
partition. Edit
> > your boot.ini to add an entry corresponding to this new boot sector
file.
> > That's all. From next time onward, you'll have an entry in your NT
boot
> > loader menu which will load the original Linux boot sector.
> > The only problem is you'll have to do it everytime you modify your
boot
> > sector. I USE THIS METHOD TO BOOT INTO RH 7.3 FROM Win2K BOOT
LOADER.

> Gee, Such a lot of trouble, just use lilo or grub to boot Win2k, no
need
> to do a hell lot of skirmish to use your brand new custom kernel :-)

Well, it is kinda way of fooling Microsoft OSes. Some people prefer NT
bootloader as the primary bootloader. This method is for them.
Why I say fooling is because windows keeps on crashing - nothing
new.....
So, while rectifying that problem, you MAY need to reinstall Windows
bootloader. Now, if LILO/GRUB is installed in the MBR, it asks for
trouble.
Instead, you just need to create the bootsector file as I said, keep it
in a safe partition, then it can be used again and again even after a
new bootsector installation. GRUB simplifies the work even more. With
LILO you need to create the bootsector file everytime you update LILO
config. With GRUB, this is no more required. Just create the damn
bootsector file once, GRUB will take care of reading the grub.conf file
& you'd be off booting into the custom kernel.

--
Kunal Gangakhedkar

kunal at vjtimca.net
kgangakhedkar at softhome.net