[ILUG-BOM] Re: [LIP][Announce] ver 0.1.0 of HTML.Template.java released (fwd)

Philip S Tellis philip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Aug 23 10:14:47 IST 2002

On Thu, 22 Aug 2002, kishor bhagwat wrote:

> With JSP and efforts to separate presentation from logic..why would
> anyone still want to use HTML inside servlets?Its a solution to a
> problem that should have been avoided!

Well, JSP still has too much java in the HTML.  How many HTML designers
do you think could do JSP?  The way I've seen it happen is the designer
makes static html and passes it on to the programmer who addes in the
JSP.  Absolutely true - presentation and logic should not be in the same
source file and definitely shouldn't both be under control of two
people.

HTML.Template java is meant to take the HTML out of your servlets and
put it into a separate template file, so that changing your template
doesn't require recompiling the servlet.

Moreover, the same templates will work with java, perl, php, python,
ruby and lisp, and...I use my same shtml templates for static as well as
dynamic pages - let's see any other templating solution do that.

Philip

--
If all else fails, defenestrate!
                -- Philip S Tellis