[ILUG-BOM] mountig fat32 on linux_suse_7.3 (fwd)

Sameer Shinde s2sameer@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Aug 25 21:15:56 IST 2002

Dear All,

    As we are threading to this mail, I have some queries about this

From: <lilo at zeenext.com>
on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 12:37 PM

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002 10:34:47 +0530 (IST) Philip S Tellis wrote:
> The following cookbook style guide should help you to mount windows
> partitions on linux

[ snip ]

>    2> mount the partition at bootime by adding entries to /etc/fstab
>       append the following line to /etc/fstab
       /dev/hda1  /mnt/windows vfat defaults       0 0

I have the similar entries in my /etc/fstab file which says,

    /dev/hda1  /mnt/dosC     vfat    defaults    0 0

But the problem is, I can write on this disk only if I'm root.
For other users I don't have the write permission. I have
read & exe permission although.
How can I get write permission also?

I tried chmod with 777 option, but I was unable to change the permission

One thing I found that with chmod command, I can't change the permission
of a directory, although I can change the permission of a file.
How can I change the permissions of the directory ?
I read the man page for chmod which says that we can change the permission
of both file & directory, but I'm unable to do that.

Well..... the command I used for this is,

# chmod 777 filename - this works
# chmod 777 dirname - this don't work ( why is it so )

Where I'm going wrong?

Thanks & Regards,
SAMEER :))
My Messenger IDs :
MSN : s2sameer          Yahoo! : s9sameer
RediffBol : s2sameer    Indiatimes : s2sameer
Visit my web-site @ :
www.geocities.com/s9sameer/