[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Interesting Conversation

Shishir iamshishir@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Sep 4 09:33:56 IST 2002

Hey Nikhil,

I beg to differ from your views. I am from a commerce background and have
immense interest in the Open Source Movement. In fact, I have already
motivated lot of friends to consider Linux and they are already learning. I
do agree that the syllabus of most of the computer science / engineering
courses does not give a broad IT perspective. But then it also depends on
the individual how he grooms his knowledge.

I have been using Redhat since version 4.0 and recently switched over to
Mandrake 8.2. I have already fiddled around quite a bit with Mandrake,
Debian, Redhat,  Suse, FreeBSD.

I think it is all about the attitude. So what do you think now?

Cheers,
Shishir

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikhil Joshi" <nikhiljoshi at subdimension.com>
To: "Linuxers" <linuxers at mm.ilug-bom.org.in>
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 8:01 AM
Subject: [ILUG-BOM] [OT] Interesting Conversation

Hi!
I had a conversation with my B.E. comp friend  about Linux.
Basically he is doing a project in VC++

fr:So you are doing project in Linux right ?
me:yeah. C programming in Linux
fr:Oh,does Linux have VB,VC ?
me:No
fr:hmm... so will my VC programs run on Linux?
me:No
fr:Then what's the use of Linux?

I was stupified. (OK Windows programs can b emulated but still
they cannot 'run' right ?)

This is from a guy who had Operating Systems,System
Programming,Microprocessor in his syllabus

I guess the whole syllabus is 'DOS' oriented.
ppl still cannot digest the fact that there are many other compilers other
than the 'standard' Turbo C++ 3.0

Also I've observed that this is the general awareness/attitude of Comp.
ppl abt Linux.

I can only imagine what it must be like for Arts/Commerce/ ppl to
understand what is Linux

--
Nikhil