[ILUG-BOM] Interesting topic

Q u a s i quasar@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Sep 5 21:40:54 IST 2002

At 02:52 morn 9/5/02 -0600, JTD wrote:
>the less informed said

as I was about the only one talking about X, and as I am one of the less
informed anyway, let me take this up... '-)

>1) X gui is bloated

More precisely, that X GUI suxx ;) - i.e. for the uninitiated, it is not
(very) sophisticated.  For those who dont read complete threads, Note I was
talking about the GUI only.  Not the underlying architecture.  And further,
considering only the *GUI* aspect - I have used X servers available from 96
onwards (svga, accelerated Mach64, XFree86), QNX, BeOS & M$ Windows
3.11/95/98/98SE/NT/2000/XP.  The fastest I have used was X+fvwm2 (used to
run on a 386 without a FPU and with only 8Mb of memory), and it was way,
*WAY* better than win 3.11/95.  The flashiest/eyecandy were
X+gnome+enlightenment and XP.  The smoothest/fast/crisp/stable I have used
is the win98 SE GUI.

>3) users want something that works

GNU/Linux works.  In fact it works very well.  Even X *works*.  If some
user wants something that does not work, I think he is ready for the
straight jacket.

>Seems that the issues were mixed and arguments against linux were not in
>context.

(it would have been better if you had quoted the contexts.)

>1) X was designed with networking in mind. It is ideal for a thin client
>environment and will outperform the windows gui (which in fact cannot
>operate as a thin client) by miles not to mention issues of maintainence
>and upgradation.

I completely agree.

>2)total number of non i386 processors sold is higher by several orders of
>magnitude.

eh?  if you are meaning Intel 80386 processors, you are probably
right.  But if you meant processors of the x86 family, I must say you are
completely off the mark here. The *powerful & complex* machines you talk
about have pitiful tiny numbers compared to the cheap & generic x86
processors.  Also as of today, IMHO, if you consider pure computing power,
the best of the x86 family must be the most powerful.

>  They run customised software which makes it possible for crap like
> windows to exist in the first place. (Power, railways, mining,
> communications, manufacturing, medical tecnology).
>3) If u think that windows works ur idea of "works" needs corrective
>education (a stint at gulag microsoft might be in order). If u are an
>engineer please dont mention the two in the same breath.

Windows does work.  If your idea of "works" is a huge complex system
running huge complex custom software, you should buy a PC, maybe.

Unix (traditional or Linux) has almost no competition in the *huge complex*
world.  But isnt that completely besides the point?

>4) Refer 2. One single contract in one of the above fields will provide
>you enough work to last a life time. If u so much as mention windows in
>these circiles u would be thrown out pronto (presuming you managed to worm
>ur way in in the first place).

refer above.

>But the above completely misses out on something very basic "what is good
>for u and ur business" U may be a business end user or a professional in
>the computer industry, the basics are the same.

[this is getting off topic, nothing to do with X - but maybe "Interesting
topic" includes all :) ]

>Lets talk only of a business providing software to another business.
>Basic principles  are
>1) reduce the cost of your input raw material (best if free)
>2) deploy your manpower effeciently (debug your code instead of M$ code)
>3) Focus
>4) Reuse (possible in the above industries only if complete processor
>cross compatability exists)
>So what would you do fatten microsoft and waste time finding uncorrectable
>bugs or use GNU/Linux

w-w-wh-h-ha-t ??!! context-where-what??

>With the advent of the latest Open office suite, the last hurdle has
>vanished (a very small number of issues remain with some complex M$
>documents).

Consider this, (if you can) : My father (a real person) is an cartography
expert.  He used to makes maps by hand in his younger days.  Today he makes
them with the aid of a computer.  They have spent ~7 lakhs on a software
called MapInfo.  Runs on windows {grin}.  He has minimal computer
background.  I had been trying to con him into installing GNU/Linux with
X.  But he asked me : -
1. Will my software run on Linux or is there a equivalent s/w on Linux?
2. Will my HPDeskjet blah blah printer run on Linux (print manager, et.al)?
3. Will I be able to use Linux with my current knowledge, as I have minimal
time?
4. Will *I* be able to manage Linux as I am the most computer savvy person
in my whole department?
5. We have about only 10 PC's, so we cannot afford an engeneer/sysadmin.
6. When we have spent 7 lakhs on MapInfo we did not mind spending 5-10Kz on
Windowz.
-- and most importantly --
7. It works fine on windows, what advantage will I get on Linux ?

I think we were trying to discuss ways to promote Linux?  But promote where
?  Most of the developer open community already uses Linux.  Most of the
closed people too use Linux, if not professionally.  But once we get out of
the "software developer" domain how many do?  If we want to make a foray
into these domains where people are not worried about what technology they
are using, but are worried with getting their *job* done, then we have to
consider their expectations/requirements.  Most of the
non-software-developer community wants (intelligent) black boxes which help
them be more efficient in what they do best.  And if you[1] want GNU/Linux
there, then imposing ones' idea of cool isnt about "choice" - the touted
mantra.

[1] "you", because I have no such particularly burning desire.  I love it
and I would not mind if it remained the exclusive domain of
geeks/nerds/developers/students/free-souls.  The whispered truth of the
matter is that if *all* the users are your own community then where will
your chapati+bhaji come from?

>So IMHO stop thinking about windows. It is irrelevant in 99% of
>microprocessors.

So IMHO, try to get out of the well. There are many wells all around.  We
should keep our mind open enough to swim in any of them whenever we choose
& need.  Closing an option or not seeing the enemy's sword is not very wise ...

>rgds
>jtdsouza at softhome.net

sincerely,
quasi