[ILUG-BOM] Samba configuration

Philip S Tellis philip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Tue Sep 24 14:03:39 IST 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Satya wrote:

> >Active directory with domain name milky way IP add 198.165.10.2 same DNS
>
> Are spaces allowed in domain names? (Genuine question. I thought they
> were not.)

DNS does not restrict which characters are allowed in a domain name.

The Domain Name Space:

 * Tree Structure
 * Nodes have labels that are 0 to 63 octets long
 * Sibling nodes may not have the same label
 * Root node has a null string label
 * Domain Name is the list of labels on the path from node to root
 * Domain names are stored with arbitrary case, but compared case-insensitive
 * Separate parts of the domain are separated by a .
 * Since root node is a null string, a domain name would end with a .
 * Names which are relative to some well known origin server, or search
   domain do not end with a .
 * The most common interpretation uses the root "." as the single origin
 * Total number of octets should not exceed 255

You can check the RFC, or have a look at my slides at
http://www.acm.org/chapters/bombay/slides/20010427.zip

Philip

--
Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never been attempted before.