[ILUG-BOM] Samba configuration
Philip S Tellis
Tue Sep 24 14:03:39 IST 2002
On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Satya wrote:
> >Active directory with domain name milky way IP add 188.8.131.52 same DNS
> Are spaces allowed in domain names? (Genuine question. I thought they
> were not.)
DNS does not restrict which characters are allowed in a domain name.
The Domain Name Space:
* Tree Structure
* Nodes have labels that are 0 to 63 octets long
* Sibling nodes may not have the same label
* Root node has a null string label
* Domain Name is the list of labels on the path from node to root
* Domain names are stored with arbitrary case, but compared case-insensitive
* Separate parts of the domain are separated by a .
* Since root node is a null string, a domain name would end with a .
* Names which are relative to some well known origin server, or search
domain do not end with a .
* The most common interpretation uses the root "." as the single origin
* Total number of octets should not exceed 255
You can check the RFC, or have a look at my slides at
Living your life is a task so difficult, it has never been attempted before.
More information about the Linuxers