[ILUG-BOM] Redhat Linux 8.0 and problems therein

Tahir Hashmi code_martial@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Oct 21 12:57:44 IST 2002

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002 18:27:16 +0530
"Dr. Atul Garg" <atulrg at net4india.com> wrote:

[snip]
> I wonder why anybody would even remotely think of comparing Linux at
> this stage to MS products or even MacOS?? I'd say  it would take
> another 5-7 years before they can catch up to what other OSes are
> today.

Sir

With due respect, let me remind you that MacOS is written by the same
company that made the hardware, so all the compatibility issues come
resolved automatically. In case of MS Products, the hardware (and
accompanying driver software) is made to work with the OS due to it's
market dominance. Ever seen those "Designed for Microsoft Windows xyz"
stickers? The manufacturers can only stick them if their hardware
works in Windows. To make somethings clear:

Linux is not Windows.
Linux is not MacOS.
No one compelled you to use Linux.
Linux works for me.
Linux (eventually) worked for you.
Use it if you like it.
Don't use it if you don't like it.
But please, not another "Linux is no good..." comment.

Thank you

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed