[ILUG-BOM] Can you trust your computer?

Tahir Hashmi code_martial@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 23 10:32:31 IST 2002

Hi all!

Richard Stallman has an article up on NewsForge where he discusses how
the Microsoft Palladium and it's notion of "Trusted computing" in
conjunction with American legislatures like DMCA, CBDTPA and TCPA can
actually act as means of restraining people's freedom to compute.
Given the strong inluence that America can exert over Indian
technology legislation, IMO we should take this issue quite seriously.

http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/10/21/1449250&tid=19

I am not sure if we have people on this list who are capable of
influencing the lawmaking process but I feel that the some people from
the LUGs etc. should atleast have an informal group that comprises
people who can exert influence over the government.

If you look at the way the laws for cellular and wireless
communication have been framed,you might get an idea of what could
hold for the future of Indian computing, especially when people like
Vijay Mukhi and Flynn Remedios have so much say.

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed