[ILUG-BOM] Courts in Maharashtra to use Linux.

Dinesh Shah dinesh@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 23 12:31:12 IST 2002

Hello Mr. Mohan Krishnan,

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, P.V. Mohan Krishnan wrote:

>   Dear luggers !!!
>
>         This is to inform you all that the Bombay High Court hasvse
> decided to have the computerisation of the activities of the Judiciary
> in Maharashtra on a Linux platform. As part of a recently initiated
> computerisation programme of all the subordinate courts of the
> Metropolitan area of Mumbai we are going to use Red Hat 7.3. For the
> last 3 years we are using a Red hat E-Mail server in the High Court.
> Also all District Courts in the State use a Slackware version of Linux
> on their systems.

It's good to know that our Judiciary setting a great precedent in using
Free and Open Source softwares !!! After hearing this I feel there is
still *hope* for India. :-)

> We have specific interest in issues relating to the following under Linux
> :
>   a) Support for old binaries ( SCO Unix Sys V/ Xenix ). We have used
> old ibcs as well as present linux-abi modules to get some of our
> application running with a big load of users accessing the same.
>
>   b) Still looking for a non-GUI word processor which is simple to
> use, implements curses/ncurses efficiently for screen handling, uses
> simple fonts ( or no font at all !!) to give speedy outputs of big
> documents speedily on  DMPs. We have not yet found anything remotely
> similar to the good old SCO Lyrix OR Uniplex wordprocessors. If someone
> has any suggestion on this it is welcome.

I have not seen or have any idea about Lyrix or Uniplex wordprocessors
but have you ever evaluated EMACS or VIM?

> Lastly we would like some suggestions regarding a workshop we plan
> to hold for Judges ficers of the Courts  sometime around
> Nov. 17-19. One session is planned on Linux and as the audience would
> be general users the presentations are proposed to be a of a general
> nature. I am contemplating getting either to get Red Hat technical
> persons to handle this OR may be any of you Luggers having the time !!
> Kindly feel free to mail me.

We are always there to take this up as and when required. ASA your dates
are firmed up let us know and we would provide the speakers and any other
resources you may require.

> Regards
> - Mohan Krishnan
>   Technical Director
>   Computer Centre, High Court
>   Mumbai - 400 032
>   Phone : 2676751

If you need to discuss any thing please feel free to call me on the numbers
bellow.

With warm regards,
--
--Dinesh Shah :-)