[ILUG-BOM] Courts in Maharashtra to use Linux.

Trevor Warren trevorwarren@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 23 12:33:35 IST 2002

--- "P.V. Mohan Krishnan" <mohan at hcbom.bom.nic.in>
wrote:
>   Dear luggers !!!
[snip]
 It is indeed a proud moment to hear that Gnu-Linux is
making inroads into the Judicial Systems too.

 We are here to help-guide-answer all your queries
sir.

 Besides...we will also conduct a small workshop for
you all ....educating you about the different facets
of Free Software and Gnu-Linux.

Will get back to you on the details.

Trevor

>         This is to inform you all that the Bombay
> High Court hasvse
> decided to have the computerisation of the
> activities of the Judiciary
> in Maharashtra on a Linux platform. As part of a
> recently initiated
> computerisation programme of all the subordinate
> courts of the
> Metropolitan area of Mumbai we are going to use Red
> Hat 7.3. For the
> last 3 years we are using a Red hat E-Mail server in
> the High Court.
> Also all District Courts in the State use a
> Slackware version of Linux
> on their systems.
>
> We have specific interest in issues relating to the
> following under Linux
> :
>   a) Support for old binaries ( SCO Unix Sys V/
> Xenix ). We have used
> old ibcs as well as present linux-abi modules to get
> some of our
> application running with a big load of users
> accessing the same.
>
>   b) Still looking for a non-GUI word processor
> which is simple to
> use, implements curses/ncurses efficiently for
> screen handling, uses
> simple fonts ( or no font at all !!) to give speedy
> outputs of big
> documents speedily on  DMPs. We have not yet found
> anything remotely
> similar to the good old SCO Lyrix OR Uniplex
> wordprocessors. If someone
> has any suggestion on this it is welcome.
>
>   c) Method of printing simple text under Star
> office OR Open Office.
> This is linked to previous section subject.
>
>   d) Bilingual support. We are trying out Indix.
>

> Lastly we would like some suggestions regarding a
> workshop we plan
> to hold for Judges ficers of the Courts  sometime
> around
> Nov. 17-19. One session is planned on Linux and as
> the audience would
> be general users the presentations are proposed to
> be a of a general
> nature. I am contemplating getting either to get Red
> Hat technical
> persons to handle this OR may be any of you Luggers
> having the time !!
> Kindly feel free to mail me.
>
> Regards
> - Mohan Krishnan
>   Technical Director
>   Computer Centre, High Court
>   Mumbai - 400 032
>   Phone : 2676751

=====
( >-    GNU/LINUX, It's all about CHOICE      -< )
/~\    __  http://www.qmailtheeasyway.com __   /~\
|  \) /    mailto: trevor.w at media.mit.edu   \ (/ |
|_|_  \      Research Asst, MediaLab        / _|_|