[ILUG-BOM] Courts in Maharashtra to use Linux.

Tahir Hashmi code_martial@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 23 15:20:55 IST 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:58:03 -0700 (PDT)
Satya <satyap at satya.virtualave.net> wrote:

> >Text editors are not word processors. Also, it won't be a good idea
> >to try and make a text-editor some kind of a de-facto standard (not
> >to mean that Satya implied this :-)
>
> Good point. But given the way most non-computer-savvy users seem to
> (ab)use word processors, pico/nano seem to be the simplest thing
> around. Philip's suggestion of jstar is also very sound.

I couldn't find jstar on the web. I presume that many of the judges
won't be already computer-savvy (aka "Windows Users"), so it'll be
relatively easier to get them on to text editing than trying to
convert people grown used to WPs ;-) Pico (or nano, haven't tried it
but I take your word) seems to be a good choice to start with as long
as the audience is told that more powerful but slightly difficult to
learn alternatives exist, so that the brave and the curious might try
them out.

Another thing to look for is spell-checking. I found that pico takes
you around the file finding erroneous words in alphabetical order,
rather than scanning the file from top to bottom like ispell and it
doesn't seem to have an option for adding words to the dictionary.

> >but we may alias lpr to something like "text2latex | lpr" so that
> >the pretty printing is taken care of transparently.
>
> No need to alias it, just tell them that the print command is
>   print foo
> and have print be a tiny script or alias that Does The Right Thing
> to foo.

Spot on! BTW, there are a lot many interesting things on
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/packages/TeX/support/ and I found another
script, txt2tex, doing a better job. It's good enough to convert raw
plain text into something close to expectations, yet has enough
under-the-hood stuff to enable tweaking (I'm thinking on the lines of
a flatter learning curve than that of LaTeX itself).

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed