[ILUG-BOM] India Gates: Mixing Business with Politics

Tahir Hashmi code_martial@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Nov 11 09:50:15 IST 2002

Hi all!

On page 10 of Todays Economic Times, it says:
"Bill to schmooze with corporate hi-fliers Ambani & Tata, and nation's
First Citizen, Kalam"

Extracts (yeah, I _typed_ them out):

"Among the most interesting meetings is the one with RIL Chairman
Mukesh Ambani. The meeting assumes significance since Reliance is
likely to emerge as a key player in the IT-telecom domain, once
Reliance Infocomm gets active"

"There is a clear-cut case for Mr. Gates to meet both Infosys chairman
NR Narayanamurthy and TCS CEO S Ramadorai, since both these companies
are working on a large number of cutting-edge Microsoft Technologies,
notably, .NET." [And I thought .Net was a dud!]

"Among the political class that Gates will schmooze with are five CMs
-- ND Tiwari (Uttaranchal), AK Anthony (Kerala) [really?], Vilasrao
Deshmukh (Maharashtra) [letter-pads out!], SM Krishna (Karnataka) and
Digvijay Singh (MP)." -- The reason is the > Rs 10,000 Cr expenditure
expected by the govt. on e-governance.

This is the most interesting read:

"Of course, the most delightful of all the meetings will be the one
with our man of science, techno-savvy, brilliantly articulate
President APJ Abdul Kalam. This scientist-turned India's First
Citizen's passion for technology as a social transformation tool is
well-known, and the two can be expected to engage in discussions on
how India can harness technology to realise her dreams of becoming a
developed nation."

(Microsoft) Technology... India... developed... ROTFL!

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed