[ILUG-BOM] Linux vs Windows as my selection.

Philip S Tellis philip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Nov 13 14:17:02 IST 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Amish Munshi wrote:

> Windows :
>
> 	The only plus being is that it is easier to use. (no one will deny
> that)

I will deny that.  If you've never used windows before, I can guarantee
that you will not find it easy to use.  Basically, it has to do with
what you are used to using, and how much help you can get from those
around you.

Most people who are used to using a mouse find it hard to use a
trackpoint.  My aunt - who is considered a senior citizen where she
lives - used a trackpoint on the first computer that she used (two
years ago).  She now finds a mouse hard to use.

Double clicking is also something that isn't easy.  Luckily, that can be
changed.

I think what we can agree on is that there is a lot of research to be
done in HCI, and Microsoft has learnt from this research.  They've also
had to hold on to old, bad habits, simply because long time users are
used to that.

We don't have that problem.  We can start off with good habits.

Philip

--
Conquest is easy. Control is not.
		-- Kirk, "Mirror, Mirror", stardate unknown