[ILUG-BOM] Re: Linux vs Windows as my selection.

vinayak_hegde at antispam vinayak_hegde@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Nov 13 16:33:51 IST 2002

Amish Munshi writes:

> Hi,
>
> 	These are the practical reason why I have selected Linux as my OS.
>

> Windows :
>
> 	The only plus being is that it is easier to use. (no one will deny
> that)

Windows is definitely not easy to use. Unless u like BSODs. Familiarity
is another matter though.

> Linux :
>
> 	No Viruses.

A few viruses do exist but they work only on default configs. The damage
that
they do is severely crippled due to Linux's security architecture.

> 	Technically correct.

Not always. A few bugs do exist in linux/OSS softwares.It is only that they
are
fixed very very soon. and may I add they are generally not as threatening
as wide open holes u find in non-OSS softwares.

> 	Non - microsoft product (so it is out of dirt cheap politics)
> 	More flexible.
> 	I hold a prestigious place in my friend circle when I say that I
> know linux, since everyone knows that it is not that widely used so I got
> to be different.

you will soon outgrow linux (probably though i hope not :)) ) if that is the
primary
reason if you moved to linux. linux is cool. but the "in-things" change
frequently.

[snip]

Vinayak Hegde
APGDST Student