[ILUG-BOM] PS to PDF: argh!

Tahir Hashmi code_martial@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Nov 15 09:33:03 IST 2002

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 10:36:12 -0800 (PST)
Satya wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2002 at 16:15, Tahir Hashmi wrote:
>
> >Erm... may I suggest redoing your Resume in LaTeX? You can use the
> >pdflatex utility that comes with tetex to directly generate PDF.
>
> That's what I have been doing. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to
> get LaTeX to stop producing a huge left margin.

Aah! That bugs. Here's what you do in the _preamble_:

% Decrease left margin by 1/2"
\addtolength{\hoffset}{-0.5in}

%Increase text width by 1" so that the tight margin is also decreased
by 1/2"
\addtolength{\textwidth}{1in}

There's a complete description of various dimensions that affect page
layout on Page 77 of _The_Not_So_Short_Introduction_to_LaTeX2e_
<http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/lshort/lshort.pdf>

BTW, I'd strongly recommend this Introduction to anyone interested in
trying out LaTeX.

HTH.

--
Tahir Hashmi (VSE, NCST)
http://staff.ncst.ernet.in/tahir

We, the rest of humanity, wish GNU luck and Godspeed