[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Latex... should I use it?

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sameerds@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Nov 16 09:21:21 IST 2002

On Fri, Dec 13, 2002 at 10:37:11PM +0530, Nikhil Joshi wrote:

> * LUG meet on 12 Jan. 2003 @ VJTI

Admin: Can we put a newline after the header? It sticks right on top
of the original message currently.

> We had done the thing in Microsoft Word format ( I used Star Office while
> my colleagues Microsoft Office )

If you want to allege that either  of these tools are bad at document
creation, then I don't agree with you. MS Word has a really really
wonderful document model just as any self-respecting word processor
should have, and one can indeed make good reports in it.

> I researched a little and found out that groff and Latex are great doc
> formatting (typesetting ?) tools.

Go for LaTeX ... look for a file called "lshort2e" ... the short
introduction to LaTeX edition 2.

If you really feel adventurous, try Docbook-XML :-) Then you can
publish your documents in any format - LaTeX, ps, PDF, HTML, RTF,
text, etc.

> I create (with the help of dvips and ps2pdf) looks very crappy in acrobat
> reader. Ghostview however displays the thing quite well. Is this normal?

Use pdflatex.

> Has anyone tried Latex and stuff ?

All sane people publish their reports, papers, articles etc using
LaTeX or related tools. Don't worry, you are on the right track! :-)

> Most probably we would print the project on a Windows machine ( i guess
> very few DTP vendors have Linux as of yet :( ). One of my friends told me
> that pdf files do not print quite well as compared with Microsoft Word

Simply not true. PDF and ps files can print anywhere ... that's what
they are meant for! In fact, the ".prn" file created for most printers
is in fact PostScript, and can be renamed to ".ps"

Sameer.
--
   MTech Student,
   Reconfigurable Computing Lab,