[ILUG-BOM] [OT] Latex... should I use it?

Nikhil Joshi nikhil_joshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Nov 17 03:58:27 IST 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002, Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe wrote:

> > We had done the thing in Microsoft Word format ( I used Star Office while
> > my colleagues Microsoft Office )
>
> If you want to allege that either  of these tools are bad at document
> creation, then I don't agree with you. MS Word has a really really
> wonderful document model just as any self-respecting word processor
> should have, and one can indeed make good reports in it.

yep, I guess Word or for that matter any WYSIWYG tool is great for
casual/short editing needs. However for real stuff like
books/thesis/report you have to resort to Latex like tools

> If you really feel adventurous, try Docbook-XML :-) Then you can
> publish your documents in any format - LaTeX, ps, PDF, HTML, RTF,
> text, etc.

ummm... XML
I have vague idea that it is some kinda markup language having
more features than HTML. I have no idea what is Docbook
Can you please enlighten me ?

> All sane people publish their reports, papers, articles etc using
> LaTeX or related tools. Don't worry, you are on the right track! :-)

Thank God :)

Nikhil