[ILUG-BOM] cannot boot into GNU/Linux

Amish Munshi amish_munshi@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Nov 17 08:05:21 IST 2002

On Monday 16 December 2002 06:11 am, Satya wrote:
> * LUG meet on 12 Jan. 2003 @ VJTI
>
> On Dec 15, 2002 at 13:27, aditya newalkar wrote:
>
> Boot by hook or crook into Linux single-user mode, and install a real
> boot loader.

You seem to be an slightly advanced user so I suggest you do the following.,
if you need ore explaination then do write in.

1. Boot using your CD in to rescue mode.
2. Mount your other partition (actually /boot is only required). Mount it
under /mnt/sysimage/boot using the command "mount /dev/hdaX
/mnt/sysimage/boot"
3. Do a "chroot /mnt/sysimage" (this does take approx 2 seconds).
4. Then do a "lilo -v -t" ( -v is for verbose and -t is for test)
5. Check the output of the above command, if everythingis fine, then do a
"lilo -v"
6. Use "exit" to comeout of the chrooted mode.
7. Unmount your /mnt/sysimage/boot (using command "umount
/mnt/sysimage/boot")..
8. Reboot and enjoy.

	Welcome to the real world.

Bye and good luck.