[ILUG-BOM] 2 minor problems after kernel recompilation..

Philip S Tellis philip@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Jan 29 10:18:36 IST 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Apurva Mehta wrote:

> 1) My system does not turn off automatically after issuing the powerdown
> command.. I have to turn it of manually. Earlier, with the RH 7.2
> default kernel (2.4.7-10), the power would switch off automatically.
> Here are the how the relevant variables are set :
> CONFIG_PM=y
> CONFIG_APM=m

you have apm compiled as a module.  in order for the system to switch
off, you'll have to have the apm module loaded at powerdown time.

I'm not quite sure of the best way to do this, but maybe changing
powerdown to a script that first calls /sbin/modprobe apm will work.

The other alternative is to compile APM into your kernel.

> 2) I cannot mount audio cd's anymore. I can play them through gtcd, I

anymore?  you mean you could mount them before?

> just cannot rip them.. The mount command tells me that I got a bad fs

audio cds don't have a file system - hence you cannot mount them.  one
doesn't mount drives, one mounts file systems that happen to be on those
drives.

> Also, what is a good strategy to follow while compiling a kernel? Is
> it better to make as many modules as possible or the other way round?

if there's something that's going to be needed all the time, it makes
sense to compile it into the kernel.  if there's something that's needed
to boot up the sytem - it has to be in the kernel.

these would include your hard disk driver, your file system driver and
the binary executable driver - for most people this would be ide,
ext2/ext3 and elf binaries.  everything else can be compiled as a
module, but see the help for each module for specific issues.

> Are there any particular features which would be better off as part of
> the kernel image rather than as modules? Currently, I have compiled

put unix domain sockets into your kernel.  it's needed to run syslog -
which is run at startup.  if you don't compile it into the kernel, then
when syslog tries to write to the log, the kernel will have to log a
message saying that it could not find unix.o.  To log this message, it
needs unix.o.  This will cause a loop, which will eventually be
terminated, but why even bother with it...

--
Williams and Holland's Law:
	If enough data is collected, anything may be proven by statistical