[ILUG-BOM] Cannot get Pinnacle PCTV Plus (TV Tuner card) to work

Abhir Joshi abhir@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Feb 2 07:26:39 IST 2003

On Sun, Feb 02, 2003 at 01:34:03AM +0530, Tarun Ramakrishna Elankath wrote:

> I have a sneaky feeling that this version of the bttv driver doesn't
> come with PAL-BG support (which PCTV PLUS uses).

IMHO, PAL-BG or PAL-D or PAL-B or ..... are the standards of the
incoming "composite video signal".  If a specific composite video
signal type is not supported by the driver then it won't be able to
set the card to play audio and video for any channel.  But with the
case of PCTV-plus, it is perfectly able to play a particular channel
but is not able to change it.  So it seems that the problem is with
the tuner.o and not the bttv.o.  The tuner module is unable to change
the frequency by giving commands, possibly because of slight
difference in the tuner control hardware design that is not
programmed in it.

I even tried changing the tuner parameter to the bttv module.  I tried
all the available tuner numbers without success.

'tuner.c', in the kernel source, has a function 'set_tv_freq'.  In
this function, you can see a printk statement -

printk("tuner: TV freq (%d.%02d) out of range (%d-%d)\n",
	freq/16,freq%16*100/16,tv_range[0],tv_range[1]);

I think it is this function that has logged the 'freq out of range'
error.  In tuner.c, just above the printk statement, you can see a
FIXME comment indicating that the condition check must be
chip-specific, which is currently not.

--
Abhir Joshi
http://education.vsnl.com/abhir/

Complex system: One with real problems and imaginary profits.