[ILUG-BOM] Re: Help me In Installation of GNU/Linux

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sameerds@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Mar 12 10:01:32 IST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:15:58PM -0700, vinayak_hegde at softhome.net wrote:

> Does that mean other distros like debian,slackware and gentoo are not good??
> Just wondering. In the FLOSS world, it is sometimes hazardous to label one
> distro better than other. What is liked by one and serves one better may be
> absolutely useless for another !!!. Just a thought.

You are right in trying to support all the alternatives available in the
FLOSS world. But remember that this approach, although it has a good
intention, actually tends to confuse and even frighten away the
newbies. For a newbie into the free software community, any choice is
good as any other - getting started is more important.

If we do try to compare the distros, realise that Red Hat is really
easy to use and widely supported in India, thanks to a certain popular
computer magazine. By "supported", I mean the presence of a user
community that understands issues in that distros, although many of
them may be using some other distro they like better.

The point to remember is that free software is no longer a dominion of
the geek. GNU/Linux is becoming more and more popular, which means
more and more people will be looking for answers that work; they don't
want to be told to do it on their own. So for myself, I stick to Red
Hat whenever someone asks me "which distro". Later on, if the person
is really interested in getting deeper into this stuff, he will have
explored other possibilities on his own, thanks to the large amount of
community interaction involved.

Sameer.

PS: IMHO, Debian has a long way to go before it becomes the common
    man's desktop. Red Hat is good.