[ILUG-BOM] random no generation issues

arun kumar arunkw@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Mar 13 12:27:37 IST 2003

Hi to generate the random number I would still suggest
that you use rand() function given by C and use it
nicely i.e effectively using seed so that you don’t
get same no again and again. I used to use it in my
good old collage days. And this function is still
being used in most of the software even today

Second method is to divide a second, now whenever you
press any key find out which milisecond part of that
second take out its unit place and you get a brand new
random number. This technique is used in developing an
arcade game jackpot las vagas style

Third method is to use the system generated datetime
stamp multiply the each individual number with each
other and take out its unit place of the resultant

For some strange reason we have always been using
time-space for finding out the unique random number

You Last full resort should be
Get the no of ticks that your processor gives in a
particular duration say 1 sec and get out its last
unit digit, obviously your random number generation
has to do with your processor speed

Thanks
bye

--- Philip S Tellis <philip at konark.ncst.ernet.in>