[ILUG-BOM] convert an a.out file to an executable command

Manish Jethani manish.jethani@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sun Mar 16 01:29:38 IST 2003

Sagar wrote:

>         i have a compled c file ... with output file as a.out ( or any
> other name )
> But this file is executed only on giving
>  # ./(filename)
> how do i convert it into a executable so that it executes only on giving
> the filename ( like in Windows as file.exe )

If you don't specify the absolute path to the program executable
(like ./a.out), the shell looks for the program in the $PATH
Just do "echo $PATH" on your command line and see the output.

So, you can add the current directory (denoted by a dot) to the
$PATH --

   export PATH=$PATH:.

Now see if it works.

-Manish

--
Manish Jethani (Technical Staff, Oracle Reports)
+91 80 51073488, manish.jethani at oracle.com
http://www.geocities.com/manish_jethani/

disclaimer: "The statements and opinions expressed here are my
own and do not necessarily represent those of Oracle Corporation."