[ILUG-BOM] Error Creating DB2 Instance on Redhat Linux 9

Erle markglen@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Jun 19 02:51:03 IST 2003

Pankaj Sarda wrote:

> Previously we installed DB2 Version 7.1 on Red Hat Linux 7.2.
>
> For us Installing Db2 same version onto Red Hat 9 is first time.

from the above and with the errors from your log file...

 > /usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/instance/db2icrt -a CLIENT -u db2inst1 db2inst1

 > Output log of the above command:
 > /usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/instance/db2icknm: relocation error: >
/usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/lib/libdb2.so.1: symbol _res, version GLIBC_2.0 not
 > defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
 > DBI1069E Unexpected error. Function = get_instance, Return code =
       > 127.

your problem is almost certain to be with the symbols (glibc). chances
are that you will have to get a version compiled against RedHat 9

specifically ( from your log file ), one of these seems to be the
executable ( binary ) causing the problem.

  /usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/instance/db2icrt -a CLIENT -u db2inst1 db2inst1

/usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/instance/db2icknm

==
  Might I suggest a quick fix. ( not a fool proff method, more of a
"hack" ) . Try at your own risk.

- I have never worked with DB2 and the error could be from
elsewhere

1. Do an ldd ( "ldd" ) against these files as in:

"ldd db2icrt",
"ldd db2icknm"

this would be the most important IMHO
"ldd /usr/IBMdb2/V7.1/lib/libdb2.so.1"
this file seems to be linked against something specific in the libc of
7.2 which it is not finding in that of 9

See what files are missing (dependencies) and copy the reqd.
files from redhat 7.2 into 9.
that may do the trick.

_DO_ _NOT_ OVERWRITE ANY FILES OF REDHAT 9 though, otherwise you could
end up with broken system. and definetly do _NOT_ touch the existing
libc of RHL 9.

also in case any files are indeed missing, you may have to try out a few
locations since, you may not be told where the files are expected to be
found.

This is not certain to fix the issue but it just might be a way out.
this is a "hack" and standard disclaimers apply here :-)

C'ya
ERLE

--
Mr. Erle A. Pereira