[ILUG-BOM] Re: Red Hat Linux 9 booting problem (why redhat for commercial)

S. Krishnan krish@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Jun 20 09:22:29 IST 2003

> We like Debian for all the usual reasons. apt-get is close to magic.
> Don't trot out RH's autoupdate thing. I've heard of it.

You do get apt-get for RH, though (http://apt.freshrpms.net).  Works
quite well too.  I use it on one of my home boxes (the other runs Woody)
and manage to keep my distro updated reasonably well.

> OTOH, one of the support guys tried to install Debian on a box with
> RAID, and can't get it to work. It works fine with RH.

Which kind of RAID? Using a regular RAID controller with SCSI, or IDE
hardware RAID (Promise/ Highpoint) or software RAID?  I'm guessing that
this might be the IDE RAID thing, for which the RH default kernels
provide compiled in support. Don't know about Debian, but maybe they
don't have it.

Cheers,

Krishnan