[ILUG-BOM] posting emails on the list

Sameer D. Sahasrabuddhe sameerds@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Mon Jul 21 13:28:01 IST 2003

Another rant on mailing practices ... I would like to request people
to _please_ create a *NEW* mail when they want to start an altogether
new thread. I just noticed that someone posted a message by replying
to an earlier message and changing the subject line. The earlier
message had nothing to do with that person's question, which why he
deleted the body. But unfortunately, the mail client, dumb as it is,
retained the "reference-to" headers which immediately confused my
equally dumb mail client into thinking its a message from the same
thread.

Is it so difficult to just press the "new" or "compose" button to
start a new message? Even typing the "to" address ... most clients
have ways to automatically complete that field. Why go through the
longer process of reply->rewrite subject->rewrite body sequence
instead, that screws up all the threading?

Sameer.
--
Research Scholar, KReSIT, IIT Bombay
http://www.it.iitb.ac.in/~sameerds/