[ILUG-BOM] multi-boot error w/ 2 hdd's

Amit Upadhyay upadhyay@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Sat Jul 26 23:32:05 IST 2003

On Saturday 26 Jul 2003 10:17 pm, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Satya wrote:
> > On Jul 25, 2003 at 23:04, Dr. Sharukh K. R. Pavri. wrote:
> > >But lilo is said to be soon deprecated.
> >
> > Cite?
>
> Release notes of RH8 and RH9

Should you not refrain from spreading misinformation, and say the complete
thing, which is: it is deprecated for Redhat only. Redhat is one thing I
truely hate in linux world **. Anyways, if you are sincere, and are trying to
help a person switch to linux, make sure they don't use grub as bootloader.
They will experiment [if they wont it doesnt matter wether its a lilo or
grub] and may misconfigure their grub.conf and render their system
non-bootable. I have never seen anybody supplying wierd option at bootime,
but have seen almost anyone using linux modifying their lilo/grub to add
windows entries for example. Therefore dummy proofing configuration is much
more important than the slight differance at boot time.

Why do you think one should use grub and not lilo?

[OT]

** Quoting current recommendations to people installing Redhat, as on,
iitb.computers [a news group], which can be safely taken as the majority
openion here[IITB]: "Make sure you dont install/unselect KDE when installing
redhat from CDs and get the RPMs from so and so place after installation" I
wonder what would a poor soul without access to IITB LAN do!

Appeal: One may live with Redhat, its linux after all, you can make it work
the way you want, but for a new user, one should advice the best available
distro. Mandrake is highest rated, while Redhat is the most hated one, be
sincere when you pick.

--
Amit Upadhyay
Senior Undergraduate Student