[ILUG-BOM]Proxy Server Query .

K i r at n G h a g kiran.ghag@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Wed Oct 29 17:17:04 IST 2003

> On Behalf Of Philip S Tellis
> Sent: Wednesday, October 29, 2003 4:49 PM
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but 16GB RAM isn't even addressable on a 32bit
> machine.  32bit address bus == 2^32bytes of addressable memory == 4GB of
> addressable memory MAX.  This includes RAM + Swap.

This calculation is the basic rule and you are correct with that. But this
is applied only to older servers.
Newer servers (or processors) support PAE (Physical Address Extension) that
allows you to address upto 64GB of RAM.
So that figure is possible...but still unaccepteble for the situation.
See this, or just google for PAE

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/platform/server/pae/default.mspx

Thanks and Regards,
Kiran Ghag
Web Page: http://kiran7.freeservers.com

  _____

"A fractal is by definition a set for which the Hausdorff Besicovitch
dimension strictly exceeds the topological dimension."
-- Mandelbrot, "The Fractal Geometry of Nature"