[ILUG-BOM] free counterpart of MS project

Sthitaprajna sp.jena@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Thu Nov 27 10:54:46 IST 2003

"Nagarjuna G." <nagarjun at hbcse.tifr.res.in> said:

> > I am not exactly sure where you read that something was _wrong_ with MR
> > Project. If you care to read what i said in my mail, you would infer
that
> > the "feature set" in MR Project does not compare to the feature set in
MS
> > Project, which is a _far_ more mature application. When I
say "stunted", it
> > again means that the features in MR Project will not make a person who
uses
> > a lot of the features in MS Project shift easily. And I am not the
person
> > who would dismiss a piece of software just for the simple reason that
it
> > has been made by Microsoft, or because it is non-free.
>
> No, I only wanted to know the feedback of users if any.  I dont use any
> project management tool as of now.
>
> But, I dont touch a software just because it works better.  I will touch
> it only if it comes with "nuts and bolts" and I have freedom to repair
> and share the changes with my friends.

That's because you have the capability to do it :) I doubt the building
constructor would go about adding code to a tool.

Currently, MR Project supports Gantt Charts, a Task Chart and a Resource
Chart. Of all these, the Gantt Chart is alright. The Task chart and
Resource Chart have basic functionality. what needs to be incorporated is a
lot, but as of now, tracking is not possible because of a lack of a point
storage facility, where you can dump your project status on a particular
date, and at a later date, revise it. That way you would be able to track
how many days/resources you have used more/less against your original plan.
Also, there is no way you can actually plug resource costs properly to the
task manager or the Resource Charts.

> If Microsoft comes with a software with "nuts and bolts" I will not mind
> using it.

that it does'nt :)
I think you are better off using a custom tool - like say take bugzilla
engine and add project tracking components to it. A base system could be
made, with a database like PGSQL as the backend, and people can work on
separate components - and each component can take plugins/etc that can be
configured. On similar lines to WebMin. Woudl be an interesting piece of
work if someone got down to getting the logic for all of this scheduling
ironed it. Making it web-based would be great too. There are some already
available, search freshmeat for "project management" and look at the
features.

The biggest advantage that MS PRoject has over others a cheap(as in money)
Project Management tool is its relatively tight integration and the
facility to make predictions based on referring to a database of similar
previous projects. Forecasting and scheduling becomes a lot easier.

--
cheers