[ILUG-BOM] fsf?

Devdas Bhagat devdas@[EMAIL-PROTECTED]
Fri Nov 28 23:04:39 IST 2003

On 26/11/03 16:11 +0530, Nilesh Chaudhari wrote:
<snip>
> SSIs are too calculating about TCO. And when we talk about the FS
> ideology, it falls flat when they jump back at you asking about the
> whole deal they are getting. So TCO has to be explained to them,
> although it still works to be way cheaper than most proprietary
> software.
Whats the cost of a Windows admin, as against the cost of an equivalent
Linux admin? Particularly if your Windows admin is going to be the same
guy who sold you the hardware and pirated software.
Nope, I don't see Linux fitting into smaller shops right now.
Linux makes sense once you can afford to hire a good admin, but until
then Windows makes far more economic sense.
It probably would be better to convince the computer supplier to provide
Linux cheaper than Windows (and he is going to argue that he knows
Windows but doesn't know Linux, so Linux will be more expensive).

Devdas Bhagat